Society of Women Engineers Funds Many Engineering Scholarships for Women
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Scholarships for Women and other Scholarship topics.
Are there any scholarship programs specifically for women engineering majors?
The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) awards several graduate fellowships and undergraduate scholarships for women in engineering annually. Each year, the organization disburses several hundred thousand dollars in Fellowships and scholarships for women engineers at the national level. Individual awards vary from $1,000 - $10,000. Some of the SWE engineering scholarships for women are funded by corporate sponsors, and others are disbursed from endowed scholarship funds.
Eligibility Requirements include:
- Enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate-level engineering or computer science program at an ABET approved school or in a program accredited by ABET (formerly the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) or CSAB (the computer sciences accreditation board).
- Grade point average of 3.5 or higher for freshman or 3.0 or higher for higher level applicants (4.0) scale.
- Initial applicants must be enrolled full time.
- Some (not all) of the SWE scholarships require that applicants be US citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants cannot already receiving full academic scholarships from another source.
In addition to the national SWE scholarships, numerous SWE sections located throughout the country offer scholarships to deserving female engineering students within their own communities.